Thursday, September 29, 2011

"A Frog in the Bog"


So, today was Thursday story time at the Suntree/Viera branch of the Brevard County Library system, and as seems to be the emerging trend, I appeared to be enjoying the books more than the toddlers. I really don't think it was fair that I had to move so the little kids could see, but I did anyway. They could have stood by the door so they could be first in the story room just like I did, but whatever...
The theme of the day was frogs, and my favorite book was A Frog in the Bog, by Karma Wilson. A Frog in the Bog has plenty of rhyming and a catchy meter, and when merged with a repetitious theme mimicking "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly", it had all of the elements necessary to catch and hold the attention of a two year old. Well... the two year old was still singing row, row, row your boat, but I was enthralled, and by end of the book I could almost remember that the fly had swallowed ONE tick, TWO fleas, THREE flies, FOUR slugs, and so on...

In the belly of the frog
On a half-sunk log
In the middle of the bog

Now, you know you want to say that over again, don't you? Go ahead, no one's watching, and I won't tell!
Of course, there is a HUGE plot twist that you never see coming, but I won't spoil the surprise, you'll have to either check it out from the library or pick it up on Amazon if you want the rest of the story.

*signs off*, murmuring "in the belly of the frog, on a half-sunk log, in the middle of the bog"




No comments:

Post a Comment